The Learner Survey*
This survey is designed to obtain information related to learner centered education and the effective use of various instructional technologies, two key components of the mission statement of Valley City State University, a universal notebook computer campus.
The first three questions provide important demographic data. Please mark your answer with the appropriate letter.
Please read each of the statements. Using the scale provided, indicate the extent to which you agree or disagree that a statement is true. Thank you very much for participating in this research project.
A) Strongly Disagree B) Disagree C) Neutral D) Agree E) Strongly Agree
5. The various technology skills I am developing at this university are essential to my future employment.
6. Using a computer increases my communication with other students.
7. Using a computer increases my communication with faculty.
8. Having my own computer broadens ways for me to receive and/or present information.
9. This university fosters cooperation in learning.
10. Using a computer provides a variety of settings for learning (e.g., working by myself, working with others, working as a member of a team).
11. Using technology tools makes it easier to work in groups.
12. Using technology tools increases my critical thinking.
13. I feel a diminished sense of competition in learning at this institution.
14. This university provides real-life learning opportunities.
15. Having my own computer makes it easier to be actively involved in the learning process.
16. I am involved in projects that promote student choice and responsibility.
17. I use the Internet often to research topics for courses.
18. Having my own computer helps me assume personal responsibility for learning.
19. I am empowered to meet my individual learning needs at this university.
20. Using a computer makes it easier to meet my learning needs.
21. Having my own computer saves me time.
22. It is important to me to have computer access at any time, day or night.
23. Using a computer is an addiction for me.
24. Using a computer during class distracts me from what is being covered.
25. Using a computer supports my curiosity and intrinsic interest in learning.
26. Using a computer allows me to experience success in meeting my learning goals.
27. This university has a supportive, positive learning environment.
28. Using a computer enables me to integrate and organize knowledge in personally meaningful ways.
29. The learning environment at this university is non-threatening.
30. I use the Internet regularly to find academic information.
31. Compared to other ways of learning, I prefer the lecture/notetaking format.
32. Using a computer helps me pursue meaningful goals.
33. I enjoy taking courses that make use of Internet materials.
34. Using various technologies enhances my learning experience.
35. Using a computer during class is valuable to my learning.
36. I access the Internet daily.
37. I use my computer daily.
38. I use e-mail daily.
39. The learning environment at this university broadens my appreciation for the diversity among people.
Drawing on four separate instruments she created during the past two years, Dr. Kathryn Holleque, Professor in the Division of Education and Psychology at Valley City State University, created The Learner Survey. Some items are based on learner centered principles referenced by the American Psychological Association and the Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory in their guidelines for school redesign and reform.*Copyright pending. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.